Thank you to all the State Opioid Response (SOR) Grant Applicants! We were overwhelmed with the number of thoughtful, innovative ideas from committed community partners across South County.
Congratulations to the recipients of our Opioid Success Grants!
St. Thomas Episcopal Church
Hospital Association of RI
The Compass School
Wood River Health Services
Boys & Girls Club of Newport
Westerly Education Center
Thundermist Health Center
Heidi Driscoll email@example.com
Partnership for Success (PFS) Grant Manager Kathy Gardner firstname.lastname@example.org
State Opioid Response (SOR) Grant Manager Cyndi Rego email@example.com
Jill Seppa firstname.lastname@example.org
Kathy Yeager email@example.com
Robin Monica firstname.lastname@example.org
Ashley Iadevaia Preventionashley@gmail.com
Count It. Lock It. Drop It! Have you?
Communicate the importance of healthy behaviors and establish clear and specific rules about not using marijuana and other drugs. This can be part of a broader conversation about expectations like:
• Doing chores • Following parental rules
• Following laws and school regulations • Bedtimes
• School and class attendance • Curfews
• Showing respect for family members
Remember to provide compliments for good choices and healthy behavior.
What to say:
“It is important to our family that we all stay healthy and safe. One way to do this is to avoid drug use, including marijuana. This is especially important for teenagers since marijuana can harm the developing brain. That’s why we have a family rule against using marijuana. If we find out you are using drugs, what do you think a fair consequence would be?”
Keep track of your child.
• Monitor your teen’s behavior to ensure the rules are being followed.
• Remain actively involved in your teen’s life and get to know his or her friends.
• Network with other parents so that you may support one another to keep your children away from drugs.
Keep lines of communication open.
• Eat dinner together.
• Do fun family activities together.
• Communicate the way your teen does (texting, email, Facebook, Twitter).